Our next parent event is on June 15, 2022 with Dr Michael McDowell.
As parent of a child who has ADHD, what do you see when you look into the future? Will your child be happy, will they be successful? How will they navigate the risks that inevitably arise? This talk will consider how to minimise these risks, and find a path that maximises your child’s resilience and readiness for adult life. There will be plenty of time for questions and discussion. Specific issues will include:
- The risks that children with ADHD may face as they grow up
- How children develop self-concept and self-esteem (and what you can do to influence this)
- Using medication to enable developmental rehabilitation and optimisation.
- The team: using the natural energies of those who care about your child.
Michael is a Community Paediatrician specialising in developmental disorders of children and young people. He is motivated by the question of how to achieve the best outcomes for children and youth who have these challenges, both in the short and long term. Michael has completed a Fellowship program in developmental paediatrics at the Boston Children’s Hospital, a Masters in Public Health at Harvard University, a PhD at the University of Queensland and has compared developmental paediatric services in different countries. Michael currently consults at a private Sydney practice called ‘Developmental Medicine Consulting’.
We are looking forward to hearing Dr McDowell present these topics on the night. We hope you can join us in person and take the opportunity to meet and chat with other parents.
In-person event cancelled
Due to low registrations, this presentation will not be delivered in person.
Register for the Zoom webinar.
Book for the webinar
If you’d like to get in touch with us, or go on the waitlist, email us at:
These events are free for financial members of the group. If you would like to become a financial member ($20 annually), and access our subsequent talks in 2022 for free, then please complete the membership form here. Memberships are valid for the financial year. A discount code for this webinar will be emailed to you when bookings are open. Alternatively, tickets can be purchased for $10 each at the link above.
The Macquarie ADHD Parent Support Group hosts four professional talks per year for parents, carers, teachers and other professionals working with ADHD kids.
Previous events included:
- March 22, 2022: ADHD and the Social Environment by Adam Wright
- January 27, 2022: Building successful school relationships by Simon da Roza
- November 11, 2021: Dishing the Dirt on the Dyses by Devon Barnes
- September 30, 2021: Busting Myths and Practical Parenting Tips
- June 22, 2021: Check in on School Engagement by Simon da Roza
- May 06, 2021: Understanding social skills therapy, PEERS and Paediatric Speech Pathology in the treatment of ADHD by The SociABLE Group
- February 2021 series by Simon da Roza
- Nov 19, 2020: Unravelling the brain – an ADHD update by Dr Patrick Concannon
- Oct 22, 2020: ADHD Q&A with Lou Brown
- Sept 23, 2020: ADHD Research, Health Services and School Engagement by Alex Latouche
- Aug 27, 2020: ADHD and the School Environment by Adam Wright